Wejo is a leader in the connected car market and is shaping the future of mobility. The connected car space is one of the fastest growing sectors in the internet of things industry. Car manufacturers are looking to extend traditional infotainment systems, insurers are seeking a better understanding of risk, users are demanding more feedback and firms are generating increasing amounts of data and require support in understanding its applications and value. We specialise in creating new services and products to help clients make the most of their data and realise its value
We bring together the brightest minds and industry experts with award-winning platform technology and advanced privacy and security to revolutionise the way we live, work and travel using connected car data, insights and analytics.
At Wejo our values drive our culture, shape our interactions and help us to achieve our goals. These values are turned into meaningful behaviours and embody our employees. We are bold, collaborative and responsible.
The architecture team is here to ensure the wejo platform continues to grow in a scalable manner, working with the business to understand their needs and to ensure those needs transition to working software in the platform. wejo employs a range of “big data” technologies (streaming and batch) and architects are expected to be hands-on experts in their subject areas.
The role of the Principal Data Architect is to provide technical leadership to other architects and engineers. You will own the architecture for your given area from top to bottom, working with staff at all levels to ensure the architecture meets the demands placed on it.
In addition, the Principal Architect will line manage other architects with a focus on fostering a culture of technical excellence within wejo.
Key Responsibilities – what I do mostly
- Constantly evolve our data architecture, removing data silos to create high-value, cohesive and accessible data
- Help to engineering our data platforms for scale, performance, reliability, and security
- Lead other members of the architecture team to design and build big data capabilities
- Provide coaching and mentoring to technical staff within our Engineering practice
- Work with the delivery and engineering teams to design and implement data processing pipelines, associated data and database structures and fine tune performance to meet those requirements
- Work with Infrastructure and DevOps teams to release and maintain live products
- Participate in establishing processes and best practices around development standards
- Own the NFRs for the platform including practice overlaps with InfoSec, Privacy
- Ensure data quality standards are in place and understood by the engineering teams
- Own the architecture roadmap
- Ensure “just enough” governance for technical solutions using a risk-based approach
- External client work supporting new and existing partnerships as required
- Research, evaluation, and adoption of new data technologies (both open source and proprietary)
Other Responsibilities – what I will be doing sometimes
- Using my expertise and knowledge to help in areas of the business that need support to get the job done, whatever that might be
Essential Skills / Knowledge & Experience – what I need to do the job
- Experience of a range of technologies and technology patterns at scale, especially Data Warehousing and MDM
- Good communication skills
- Line management of small teams
- Technical leadership of larger teams
- Recent hands-on development experience
Desirable – What can help me succeed
- Experience of designing distributed systems deployed to cloud computing environments
- Experience of open source technologies for big data processing such as Apache Spark, Hadoop and Kafka
- Experience in the creation of Spark processing jobs
- Experience in programming in any of the following: Java, Scala or Python
- Experience tuning data processing jobs
- Experience with configuration management process
- Experience working with an Agile Tracking Tool (e.g. Jira, Rally)
- Experience Managing Data ingestion and processing operations
- Background in data engineering and associated software development life cycles & service delivery
Equal Opportunity Employer: Wejo is an equal opportunity employer, committed to our diversity and inclusiveness. We consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability or age. We strongly encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQIA community, people with disabilities and veterans to apply. We are actively working to be an anti-racist organization. We're committing to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace for all of our employees. You can read more about our commitment to DEI here.