Wejo is a leader in the connected car market and is shaping the future of mobility. The connected car space is one of the fastest growing sectors in the internet of things industry. Car manufacturers are looking to extend traditional infotainment systems, insurers are seeking a better understanding of risk, users are demanding more feedback and firms are generating increasing amounts of data and require support in understanding its applications and value. We specialise in creating new services and products to help clients make the most of their data and realise its value
We bring together the brightest minds and industry experts with award-winning platform technology and advanced privacy and security to revolutionise the way we live, work and travel using connected car data, insights and analytics.
At Wejo our values drive our culture, shape our interactions and help us to achieve our goals. These values are turned into meaningful behaviours and embody our employees. We are bold, collaborative and responsible.
The role of the Engineering manager is to be responsible for the management of an engineering team within Wejo. You will have a focus on building a dynamic, high-performance team with the right blend of skills and experience. You will also ensure the team delivers high quality software in a predictable manner and take responsibility for team delivery and output.
A prerequisite for everyone working in Wejo is a high level of personal resilience and the ability to manage changing priorities and complexity well
Key Responsibilities – what I do mostly
- Line management of engineering staff
- Managing the backlog, coordinating sprints, running stand-ups and carrying out retrospectives
- Drive adoption of best practice such as CI/CD, software quality, automated testing, and load testing, TDD, etc.
- Provide technical leadership
- Set team objectives, manage, and monitor key results and KPIs
- Liaise with commercial and sales teams to deliver on the customer’s needs
- Career development of staff within the team including but not limited to objectives, one to ones, training, and mentoring.
- Recruitment of high calibre engineers
- Support the agile process
- Work with key stakeholders to understand priorities.
- Ensuring internal and external communications are clear and relevant.
- Keeping stakeholders informed as to progress against priorities.
- Encourage and inspire the team to continually improve.
- Foster a culture of openness and mutual success.
- Ensure failures and mistakes are treated as a learning opportunity.
Other Responsibilities – what I will be doing sometimes
- Feed into strategic planning cycle to agree capacity for the coming years
- Out of hours escalation
- Customer facing consultancy
Essential Skills / Knowledge & Experience – what I need to do the job
- A strong technology-based background
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Extensive experience of working in agile environments
- Calm under pressure
- Confident presenter
- High personal resilience
- Ability to manage changing priorities and complexity well.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Wejo is an equal opportunity employer, committed to our diversity and inclusiveness. We consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, nationality, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability or age. We strongly encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQIA community, people with disabilities and veterans to apply. We are actively working to be an anti-racist organization. We're committing to creating an inclusive and equitable workplace for all of our employees. You can read more about our commitment to DEI here.